Sunday, January 21, 2007

A "Blogette" from my Mom


“Nothing can fully prepare you for India, but perhaps the one thing that best encapsulates this extraordinary country is its ability to inspire, frustrate, thrill and confound all at once.” (Lonely Planet 2005)

Ever since I read Far Pavillions by M.M. Kaye, a romantic epic taking place in the 19th century, India has held a fascination for me. It is not a country to visit with just anyone---and a “tour” is not the way I wanted to see this fabulous country. A decade or so ago when Todd & I visited Kathmandu we talked about going to India together someday.

I didn’t think it would actually happen until Simran (Roopa’s daughter) invited us to her wedding. Like a fly on flypaper, I was on it! So here we are---and this is my “blogette”.

Palace on Wheels---gourmet dining at Camp Curry (Yosemite Valley tented campsite) on Wheels. I loved the movement of the train. The food, which I will bring back with me as additional girth, erased any delusion I was going to lose weight on this trip. The ease with which we were able to visit magnificent palaces and forts---imagining the life during the time of the maharajas, highlighted by the Taj Mahal---no picture can do it justice! Camel riding through the desert pretending I was in another lifetime was FUN!
(Getting ready for an elephant ride to the fort in Jaipur.)
After seven days we ended our sojourn in Delhi. I experienced my first cycle rickshaw ride around old Delhi stopping to buy a couple odds & ends. Where is all the traffic and hoards of people Todd had described?

Two nights later we flew to Mumbai (Bombay) and met up with Todd’s friend Marc. Okay, now we are talking INDIA!!! After three taxi rides and a tuk tuk venture---I have aged five years. If I wanted to play bumper cars I would’ve gone to Disneyland. If the horn on their automobile (or tuk tuk) were to stop working, they might as well have no brakes.

(Left: On a cycle rikshaw in old Delhi.)

If you need an ambulance it might take six hours to get to you. Mumbai is a city that needs to be experienced first hand --- there is no way to comprehend from my description.

Possibly due to the religions, Hindu and Muslim, it appears more male dominated than anywhere else I have been. Yes, it is crowded. Yes, there is poverty—more evident here than anywhere else I have been. Yes, the shopping is fun. After that, it is hard to put into words. All six senses (yes, six) are brought to attention. Being in the moment is obligatory if you want to really experience this city.

A special day with Shubi (Roopa’s daughter) at her home yesterday. (Todd will write more in his next entry).

Who knows what is around the next corner. Todd is pretty well making all the plans.
We will be headed south to experience a different India. Mumbai is a city I need only to visit once---and am glad I did.

A highlight for me is sharing this time with Todd. His patience, spirit of adventure, and love of humanity continue to remind be how blessed I am!